Kucing Gatal Speaks

Saturday, November 03, 2012

Anger leads to hate

Road rage is a terrible thing to experience. I must admit there have been numerous times where I've lost my temper at some idiot trying to cut into my lane without any indication, or someone selfish standing in a yellow box, or just bad driving in general. Drivers in Kuala Lumpur obey no one but themselves. Not all, of course, but quite a few ignore speed limits, and aggressively try to push you out of the right lane if you're in their way.

Anyway, I've given my fair share of the finger to drivers who deserve it. Sadly, many these days are women drivers. They zoom out of side lanes without looking, or cut in and out without so much as a thank you or sorry, double park and generally make a nuisance of themselves. Of course men do these too. But given the stereotype about women drivers, it's sad to actually see these women living up to it.

I was involved in a road rage incident yesterday which shook me up a little. Driving along a major road in Kuala Lumpur, I had indicated well in advance that I was going to cut into the right lane. A 4WD quite a way behind me saw my indicator and decided to speed up to deny me entry into the lane. Asshole! I was already 3/4 of the way into the lane but he persistently kept moving forward till he was literally beside my car. I had no choice but to veer to the left again when the car ahead of me suddenly braked.

I am a very hot tempered person so immediately I saw red, and honked at the asshole. He looked at me and I gave him the finger. That seemed to infuriate him so he decided to switch into my lane and tailgated me for a while. Occasionally he would overtake me, suddenly brake, then switch into another lane, wait for me to catch up and then gesture rudely at me. This continued for several minutes, during which time the Kucing really really got angry. I'm not the timid type who will immediately find a way to back down and hide in traffic somewhere.

No. I took out my phone and took a picture of him, and of his car. For some reason this freaked him out for he zoomed away immediately and I lost sight of him.

I guess I got lucky. I've heard of situations that ended in crashed cars, people getting beaten up, and even a lady hanging on to the windshield of another car while it drove away. Once I had cooled down, I realised that the situation could have ended badly for me. The Jantan, when he heard of the story, said I should learn to control my temper especially on the roads here because we all know, there are plenty of assholes just waiting to explode and beat others up.

But how to control my temper when there are drivers like these on the roads? They are clearly in the wrong, yet they are getting away with their bad behaviour. Why is the traffic law enforcement so pathetic in this country? What are the policemen doing? AES is not going to help apart from generating revenue for the parties involved. What we need is enforcement like they have in Singapore and other developed nations.

So do your job properly, traffic policemen. Weed out these bullies and make Malaysian roads safer for everyone.

Till next time, this is Kucing signing out with a driven mad meow.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home