Kucing Gatal Speaks

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

That weak-kneed sensation

You know how sometimes when someone looks at you, your heartbeat quickens, you feel some electric tension and your insides start melting?

I had that sensation last night.

Had coffee with a male friend who's quite good looking, but we've never really flirted with each other or considered going out with one another, mainly because we don't really have much in common. But last night, as he stared into my eyes from across the table, I felt a spark. I quickly lowered my gaze and stared into my coffee cup instead, stirring the coffee endlessly. I started fidgeting, which is unlike me. Usually I can banter and debate with this guy, but I found myself tongue-tied for once, then I started babbling some rubbish, all the while looking down, as if I was talking to my coffee.

He seemed slightly amused. Those few times when I looked up at him, he glanced away, then gazed straight back into my eyes, a smile playing around his lips. There was a short moment of silence. I broke it by starting to babble about work. He kept staring. I kept stirring, babbling, fidgeting. What was wrong with me? Totally out of character, and my confidence had deserted me. Did he know my heart was thumping? Did he know I wanted to reach out, to hold his hands, to stroke his cheek, to kiss him? I was stunned at the depth of my sudden attraction to him. He seemed slightly different, more mature, more manly, as he sat there. I wondered what had changed. New cologne? No, he was wearing the same old CK fragrance. A new haircut? No, still the same old ruffled look.

"Kucing," he said suddenly, and the world came back into focus. I blinked away the fantasies of me and him getting it on in the cafe bathroom, and forced myself to look him in the eye. "I .... need to pee lah, I'll be right back!" he said, then quickly got up and headed for the gents. Hmmm, totally potong steam, but it gave me time to gather my thoughts. Had he been intending to say something else? There had been a slight pause after all. Was he feeling the same way I was? But this was my friend, for God's sake, and we were both interested in other people, though we were both still single. We talked about guys I liked, and girls he liked, and it had never crossed our minds to get together.

Had he slipped something into my coffee? Some love potion from some bomoh? Of course not, he wasn't interested in me. Such an absurd thought. Before I could come up with more theories for my sudden crush, he was back. "Sorry, too much coffee," he said, smiling at me. I had never really noticed the way the corners of his mouth turned up when he smiled. "Eh shuddup kucing, stop this nonsense!" my brain said. "His hands look so nice, wonder how they would look holding mine," my heart whispered.

"It's getting late, we should go," my mouth said. He looked surprised, then glanced at his watch. "So early?" he asked. I wanted to stay, to find out if he was going to tell me he suddenly found me irresistible, but my logical and stern side won out. There was nothing between us, I was probably in some loony romantic phase and he happened to be in the right place at the right time - my hormones obviously couldn't distinguish between friends and potential lovers. The best thing to do would be to leave before I said something stupid, and end up with my foot in my mouth.

As we walked to his car, I turned to him and said "Thank you for the coffee and your company." "The pleasure is all mine, kucing," he said. My heart started thumping again, he had never said that to me before, and there was just something in the way he looked at me. I wasn't imagining things. All kinds of things were racing through my mind, does he like me, is he flirting with me, he seems the same, why is he staring at me, why is his goddamn car so far away ...

Finally we reached his car and got in. The closeness of him only excited my thoughts further. When he shifted gear, would his hands accidentally brush mine? Was he going to take an extra long route home?

Nothing of that sort happened. He drove the exact same route to my place, he kept his hands to himself, and he kept up a light conversation during the short drive. Stupid men and their confusing ways, I cursed. How can he make me feel this way and not notice? When he pulled up outside the gate, he didn't park the car at the side of the road. He didn't even turn off the engine. He just looked at me, and I started babbling again. "Well, good night, thanks for the coffee, I enjoyed your company," I blurted out, smiling inanely at him. "Take care," he said. We both sensed the other had a lot more to say, but neither worked up the courage to say anything.

We looked at each other for a while, then hugged awkwardly - we always hug goodbye but this time it didn't feel as comfortable or friendly as usual. He patted my back. I wanted to nuzzle his neck and plant kisses all over his face. So close, his lips just a few inches away, my heart was urging me to make the first move.

Instead, I pulled away and got out of the car. "Bye," I waved, then quickly walked into my home, where I could be alone with my thoughts and develop a thousand and one regrets. "I should have asked him to come in .... I should have kissed him goodnight .... I should have waited longer at the cafe .... I should have stared back at him instead of looking away ..."

But sometimes, things are better left unsaid. What if I had totally misread him, and what if I had made a fool of myself? Better safe than sorry for now, I told myself.

Later that night, as I was dozing off, his SMS came through. "Goodnight Kucing, sweet dreams." I didn't reply, partly because I was annoyed that he was having this effect on me, and partly because I didn't want him to think I was awake and thinking of him. Besides, I hate it when men do this, they look like they're going to confess something, then pull back, leaving us women confused and wondering if he even feels anything for us. I wondered if he had felt any chemistry that night, I wondered if he had experienced that same melting sensation I felt as he looked at me.

I hate not knowing!

I'll be meeting him again in a few days' time, and by this time, I must get my hormones under control ....

Till next time, this is Kucing Gatal signing out with a wistful Meow.

16 Comments:

  • Hmm... shall we break out the J.P. Young number from Strictly Ballroom?

    I think I can do a few twirls, if my bad knee doesn't blow out. :P

    By Blogger Unknown, at August 02, 2005 10:00 AM  

  • wah!!!!!!!!!!! Are you sure you didn't snoop into my personal life to korek how I met Naz (the BF)????

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 02, 2005 10:11 AM  

  • hmm.... but certain things are better left unsaid... but we wonder whether we made theright decisions or not...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 02, 2005 11:55 AM  

  • wow meow! what a suspense! u should do something. curiosity kills the cat u know..

    By Blogger L. Halim, at August 02, 2005 2:59 PM  

  • the best thing about you kuching is, you always makes me smile after reading each post... ;)

    it'll pass... don't jump just yet...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 02, 2005 3:45 PM  

  • Alahai... according to atuk's funny forgotten familiar feelings it is appropriate to immediately scratch whenever you're feeling the gatalness (or is it merenyamness) then it feels ooohhh sssooo heavenly.. :)

    By Blogger Laguhati, at August 02, 2005 3:57 PM  

  • Hahahaha...you should publish ur blogs la KG! Very amusing read...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 02, 2005 4:06 PM  

  • Tiger: I don't want to be responsible for killing off your knee once and for all ;)

    S-kay: OK, I confess... I sneaked into your mental diary ...

    Endeavor: When there's something great to lose, then yes, some things should be left unsaid.

    Xaph: That's true, us women can drive men insane too, especially since we change our mind every minute or so. How about you start working on that decoder thingy, and we market it together? ;)

    Butterflyn: Will definitely try to get over this crush before my next meeting with him. Keep tuning in for updates!

    Happy Reader: Thanks, I like being cheerful and positive rather than melodramatic and depressed :)

    Laguhati: Who says I didn't scratch? ;)

    Anonymous: Thank you, I'm glad you have such confidence in me! If you're a publisher, then I guess can, but I doubt publishers in Malaysia would touch my blog with a 15-foot pole ... 18SX after all ;)

    By Blogger Kucing Gatal, at August 02, 2005 4:41 PM  

  • currently, i feel this way abt a casual boyfriend of mine, Mr SL280. Everytime we meet, and he slips his arm around my waist and kiss me on the lips to say Hi, I'd melt..knees buckled..heart thumping..

    but he's off-limits.. can't have more than casual relationship. Religion issue..sigh!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 02, 2005 5:31 PM  

  • kuch, rather than hanging in suspense of not knowing the truth, why not take advantage of the situation instead? since you claimed that he looked at you a certain way, i'm sure there was some kind of attraction on his part too. next time you see him, just flirt a little with him (& i mean a little bit, not the sluttish kind) and see how he reacts to that..good luck, hon! ;)

    By Blogger ieda, at August 02, 2005 5:41 PM  

  • U want to get weak knees??

    Go cycle up Genting. One momma beast of a climb. Damn it hurt. Lurve you Momma G. Eh.. ter digress. Sorry.

    By Blogger In Technicolor, at August 03, 2005 8:56 AM  

  • You should have kissed him Kucing!! :) *sigh* Haven't had this kinda feeling for a gazellion years...

    By Blogger Jessie, at August 03, 2005 10:18 AM  

  • Nah, the wolf in me thinks that the guy was just playin', and see if you will make any moves. An ego thing.

    If he can make you feel that way by staring at you, the guy knows how to play women. I don't believe that he would not have the confidence to take it further if he really wanted you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 03, 2005 8:58 PM  

  • Anonymous: Sometimes it's more exciting BECAUSE it's forbidden ;)

    Ieda: I have something up my sleeve. Will keep you all updated.

    TheRoadie: I want weak knees without getting a heart attack.

    Laidbare: Too cowardly, if he had turned away or got disgusted I would have lost a friend. Must research more before I make a move.

    Mistyeiz: Imagine how I felt!!

    Anonymous: You're absolutely right, this guy is a player, which is why I didn't give in to my desire ;)

    By Blogger Kucing Gatal, at August 04, 2005 11:43 AM  

  • i believe what happenned to you happens to many ppl. just like me mate.

    the only problem is, i'm a guy.

    me n this gal are still in contact, n we did talked about that moment that we had. i wanted to hold her n it tunrs out that she wanted to hold me too.

    let me put it this way la kucing. a normal modern guy won't resist a kiss for sure. unless the kiss is coming from an ugly witch, that is! hehe

    my two cents.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 05, 2005 10:52 PM  

  • i love this post,it is so familiar..feeling this way.and it is pretty amusing too :)

    By Blogger Ivy, at August 11, 2005 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home