Kucing Gatal Speaks

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The problem with parents

What is it about people that turns them into blubbering idiots when they're talking about their kids? They gush and brag about their pride and joy as if their kid is the next Einstein or the next Mariah Carey.

"You know ah, James is so smart, already can distinguish between aeroplanes and helicopters and he's not even 2!"

"My Nurhana can sing so well, the other day someone told me she really got talent, must enter her in singing contest. Got any contest for kids ke?"

And so on and so forth. Everyone is convinced they have the smartest, cutest, most talented kid on earth. Don't get me wrong, I like kids, I especially love the naughty and cheeky ones, but I cannot stand parents who have nothing else to talk about besides their kids. The ones who stand over the prams fussing about, making googly eyes and indulging in baby talk with their kids in public. "Mummm mumm .... goooli gooli gooli, kooochi koochi!", then erupt into laughs when the baby smiles (probably wincing inside at their parents' behaviour).

Even worse are those who aren't parents themselves but gush about other people's kids.

"My sister's baby is sooooooooo cute lah, already can turn over, the other day nearly fell off the bed!"

"My neighbour's child, he is only 3 but can count to 10 in 3 different languages!"

In small doses, such boasts are all right, but when they become focal points of conversations, and these people can't see how nobody else is really interested in how Junior can sing the national anthem backwards, then it's a royal pain. But how to tell them off? It would hurt their feelings if you brutally said, "Eh can shuddup or not, we're not interested in hearing about your kid, ok?"

Maybe I will turn into a blubbering idiot when I become a mother someday, but for now, please lah, spare me the details and just tell me the important bits like Junior has learned how to walk now, then I will respond with the appropriate amount of oohs and aahs, and smoothly move on to a more pressing topic. Such as whether liquid wax is better than wax strips.

Till next time, this is Kucing Gatal signing out with an exasperated Meow.

3 Comments:

  • my friend recorded her niece's voice on her tape recorder and wen through so much trouble just to let me listen to it.

    have to admit the baby IS adorable :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 19, 2005 7:43 PM  

  • parents are like that, they'll outgrow it.. eventually.
    btw liquid wax is defitely better, especially when done by someone else LOL

    By Blogger Jessie, at July 20, 2005 7:58 PM  

  • Stalker-ish & Mistyeiz: Yes, babies are simply adorable, especially when they give you that toothless laugh. But when you meet people who can talk of nothing else, then it really starts to get on your nerves, kan?

    ThefirstChristmas: I met this lady who kept goo-goo ga-gaing to her grandchild, and it was painfully embarrassing to watch her carry on like that in public. You're absolutely right, it does nothing for their mental stimulation. Thanks for the link!

    Laidbare: By the time they outgrow it they may have lost many opportunities to stimulate the baby's brain ;) Yeah I agree, liquid wax is better!

    By Blogger Kucing Gatal, at July 22, 2005 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home