Kucing Gatal Speaks

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Racist Slurs

I'm racist, and so is every other Malaysian I know. Be honest, who among us can claim that they've never uttered a racist statement in their life? During tense moments, during eruptions of anger, Pandora's Box pops open and out come the racist slurs.

I'm a fair racist - I condemn all races equally, depending on the situation.

After 10 minutes at a government department, I'm muttering, "Goddamit, these Melayus are SO slow and lazy!!!"

After waiting patiently at traffic lights and seeing cars cutting queue here and there (especially in SS2 PJ), I curse, "Bloody Chinaman drivers! If only I had a machine gun or a tank!"

After shopping at Indian shops along Jln Tuanku Abdul Rahman, I'm wondering, "Why do Indians have such a funny smell? Cannot stand it!"

And when I see locals kow-towing to Mat Sallehs, I go, "These mat sallehs come here and act like they're God. So arrogant!" Then I condemn the locals for putting the foreigners on a pedestal in the first place.

Just as I can pass all these rude and stereotypical judgements, I can also give credit where credit is due.

"Yummmm, Chinese food is sooooo good! The Chinese really know how to make good food!"

"Look at these cute earrings! The Indians are really good at all these creative accessories!"

"This kuih is to die for. One thing about the Malays, they're really good at making desserts."

So you see, I am just a typical Malaysian. And now you're probably wondering, Kucing Gatal, what race are you? Well, I'm one of the above, and I'm all of the above. Living in Malaysia, you can't help but absorb parts of other cultures into your own culture and life.

Get it right though, I don't hate the different races, I'm just letting off steam! Right after condemning the Malays, I can call up my Malay friend and say, "Eh jom ke Sunway, nak pi shopping." After mentally blowing up all Chinese-owned cars on the road, I can go to my Chinese friend's wedding and happily Yam Seng with my Chinese tea. After stepping out of the Indian shops to gulp in some fresh air, I can turn to my Indian friend and invite her over for dinner.

I may get flak for this post, but I'm just putting into words what every Malaysian does, whether openly or not. Show me a Malaysian who hasn't condemned an entire race based on an individual's actions and I'll show you a liar ;)

10 Comments:

  • It's the mindless bigots who condemn because of hatred are the ones who get on my nerve.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 06, 2005 2:40 PM  

  • Yup, I've blogged similar sentiments before, everyone on this planet is racist, be it positive or negative racism, and to what degree, but they are racist.

    At least you have the balls to admit it, albeit anonymously ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 06, 2005 2:43 PM  

  • i believe there's part of me has the ingredient of racism. but i do try to correct myself i do make any unreasonable statements :)

    By Blogger kiawin, at July 06, 2005 2:45 PM  

  • it comes with living in a multiracial community i guess...it's hard to condemn a person and not use his/her race as a major factor of why he/she behaves they way he/she does...even when we know that it's the person and not the race who is at fault but we still go around calling melayu pemalas or orang cina cekik darah etc etc...

    but like wut my counseling psychology lecturer said, there's positive and negative racism..it depends on how and when u apply it..

    cool blog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 06, 2005 3:02 PM  

  • Nilesh babu: Thanks! Just trying to be honest :)

    BawangMerah: Agreed. I don't like those who claim that their race/religion is better than another.

    ShaolinTiger: Did someone mention balls? My favourite plaything .....meowwww.

    Kiawin: You're a good guy.

    Alex-sha: Very true! And thanks for the compliment :)

    By Blogger Kucing Gatal, at July 06, 2005 3:12 PM  

  • I am a catist. I dont like cats. Although i dont admit it in front of women coz it is not shaggingly correct.

    "Look at those damn cats, if only ALF the TV alien character is real"

    "U complain of cigarette smoke but can happily sit there an inhale cat litter n eat cheese cake"...

    By Blogger In Technicolor, at July 06, 2005 5:02 PM  

  • Malaysia is a multicultural country. I don't deny it that there aren't any racial sentiments amongst us, Malaysians or preferably all the races.

    It happens all the time, or maybe sometimes but you cannot prevent that from happening. We are just humans and I guess that is just part of life.

    Anyways, a great entry and keep up ur good work.

    Cheers!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 06, 2005 5:03 PM  

  • DementedChic: Which rojak part are you most racist towards? :P

    Yvy: Thanks!

    Theroadie: I am a cyclist-in-pinkist ;) Actually I don't really like cats either but the name Kucing Gatal was very appealing to me.

    Kyels: Yes, it's human nature!

    By Blogger Kucing Gatal, at July 06, 2005 6:06 PM  

  • I think what you are highlighting is stereotyping, not racism. Racism is a belief that a race is superior to others.

    There are negative and positive stereotyping, but there are no positive racism.

    By Blogger Jon Choo, at July 06, 2005 6:26 PM  

  • kuching gatal,

    I'm racist towards every single one of them rojak bits. ;)

    By Blogger Dee, at July 06, 2005 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home