Kucing Gatal Speaks

Thursday, July 07, 2005

If You're Mean, They're Keen

Why is it that some guys just can't take a hint? The more you reject their advances, the harder they try. Check out these cringe-worthy lines:

He: "Mmmm I love that smell! What perfume are you wearing?"
Me: "Lux soap."
He: "Wow, you make Lux soap smell like the best perfume on earth ..."

He: "Those are really nice earrings ... diamonds?"
Me: "$2.50 studs from Sinma."
He: "They look so real on your pretty little ears. Never mind, I can buy for you real diamond earrings, you want?"
Me: "No!"
He: "When is your birthday?"

On the phone:
He: Hi, how are you?
Me: Hey, I'm running late for a meeting, can't talk, I'll call you back.
He: Just 2 minutes please, I just want to hear your voice.
Me: Got to go, bye!
He: Wait lah, don't hang up, just a few seconds, please!
I hang up.

Via SMS late at night:
He: Hi, I couldn't sleep thinking about you.
No reply from me as I am busy ZzzZZ-ing.
5 minutes later
He: Hello? Reply lah at least.
3 minutes later
He: Are you angry with me? I'm sorry if I did anything wrong.
5 minutes later
He: You're probably asleep. Sorry for disturbing you.
1 minute later
He: Goodnight pretty one.

Lucky I put my phone on silent mode before I go to bed - the vibrations aren't enough to wake me up.

Treat 'em mean and keep 'em keen, as the saying goes. But what about when you REALLY can't stand these guys? The meaner you are, the keener they are. It's a no-win situation, isn't it? You're nice to them, they have hopes that you're softening towards them. You're mean to them and they get even more interested and don't stop hounding you.

You tell them to piss off and they back off for some time, only to reappear a short while later, cunningly testing the waters with a generic SMS, for example wishing you Happy New Year. And if you're kind enough to reply, that's an open invitation for them to sneak back into your life. If you don't reply, they send more generic SMSes, hoping you'll respond some day.

Some guys go to the extent of making up a fictitious girlfriend, hoping to make you jealous, hoping that you'll come to your senses and realise what a catch they are. Please, this does not work. The minute you tell me you have a girlfriend, I'm genuinely happy for you and hope you're genuinely in love with her. I had this guy hounding me for ages, then he got a girlfriend, but he kept comparing her to me, and he kept telling me he really loved me instead. What a bloody loser. Not only was he messing around with a perfectly nice girl, he was too dense to realise that I would never be attracted to him. Not because of his looks or anything, but because I found him immature and irresponsible. Not very attractive traits in a man, don't you think? Last I heard, he got dumped. Good for the girl!

I also know of some girls who shamelessly chase after guys who aren't interested in them in the least bit. Why does this happen? Is it the thrill of the chase? What is it that makes you so persistent to the point of being a pest? If I was interested in a guy and I know he just likes me as a friend, or doesn't want to be associated with me at all, I'd back off immediately. Respect his decision, and live with it. Is that so difficult to do? I know it can be painful, unrequited love and all that, but hey, it's better than you making a fool of yourself in the vain hope that the other person is going to suddenly fall madly in love with you. Secretly pining after someone is perfectly normal, just don't announce your love/lust for the other person and keep hounding them.

I have secretly pined for some guys, and then outgrew it naturally. Am very glad that I never told them, it would have made things awkward and I would have lost some good friends.

Any of you been in the same situation? Or currently irritating some poor person with your unwanted and unwelcome attention?

Till next time, this is Kucing Gatal signing out with a mean Meow.

3 Comments:

  • My cousin has a girl who's literally throwing herself at him. While they've made out a couple times, he's completely at a loss with what to do with her, since he has already told her that he's not interested in a relationship now and that he'll be leaving overseas soon. Still, she continues to SMS him and send very strong signals.

    I told him to stop with the making out and not to lead her on anymore. Hopefully, she'll get the message...

    P.S. First time posting on your blog. Hello~ :3

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 09, 2005 12:15 PM  

  • i believe that people always want what they can't/don't have. i think it's tied in with hope in a very sad, twisted way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 09, 2005 12:28 PM  

  • Trying to deconstruct ‘horny’ is not a good idea.

    By Blogger In Technicolor, at July 11, 2005 10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home