Kucing Gatal Speaks

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Merdeka Haiku Contest

How quickly the year has flown by, once again the spirit of Merdeka is in the air. Patriotism is well and truly alive ... well, at least for this month ;)

I want to do something to celebrate our independence day, involving the readers of this blog. I thought of another guessing game, but in the end decided to put your creativity to the test.

And so, I hereby launch The Merdeka Haiku Contest. All you have to do is submit (via Comments) an original patriotic haiku. It can be about anything, as long as it's about Malaysia - doesn't have to mention Merdeka specifically. So if you want to focus on how much you love cempedak, or how much you admire Rafidah Aziz, go for it.

The winner will be chosen in a partially-democratic way. I will choose 3 finalists, and then let the readers of the blog vote for the winner. No cheating! You cannot vote for yourself, and please don't create new/anonymous identities to submit multiple votes for yourself/your favourite. Please be fair to the others.

The rules are simple:
(1) All haikus must be in English.
(2) All haikus must be about Malaysia.
(3) You can only submit one haiku.
(4) Closing date for submissions is Thursday, 25 August 2005.
(5) Results are final and binding. No protests will be entertained.

If you're wondering what the prize is, well, there isn't one. But surely having your haiku win and be published on my blog is reward enough ;)

For those who don't know, a haiku is traditional Japanese poetry that contains 17 syllables. The most common version has 5 syllables in the first line, 7 in the second line and 5 in the last line.

Eg:

Flags flapping gently
Merdeka wind is blowing
Freedom is savoured
© http://kucinggatal.blogspot.com

Now, get cracking!

I've got the Jalur Gemilang song stuck in my head now! Jalur Gemilang, di bawah naunganmu... I don't know most of the words but I just like to hum along...

Till next time, this is Kucing Gatal signing out with a patriotic Meow.

16 Comments:

  • On Merdeka Day
    I run naked at Padang
    Agong chasing me

    By Blogger Tiffany L, at August 20, 2005 11:21 AM  

  • Come sing AP Birthday,
    On Merdeka Day,
    Flag up and shout hooray!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 20, 2005 6:21 PM  

  • Xaph, it may interest you to know that Kayu Nasi Kandar will be opening in Box Hill soon ;) Probably the closest thing you'll get to a mamak here.

    By Blogger Sangeeta, at August 20, 2005 8:12 PM  

  • and i'm pretty sure the price would be beautiful too =P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 20, 2005 11:59 PM  

  • what? merdeka merdeki shymachy.. where's part 5?!?? urgh!! my anticipation is killing me!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 21, 2005 1:58 AM  

  • Hedonistics: I laughed so loudly I think the neighbours heard me.

    Xaph: *cough* Sound familiar?

    Tarehgemuk: [lecture] Merdeka is important to all Malaysians and I want to get involved [/lecture]. By the way the finale has been posted ;)

    Thanks for all the haikus so far, keep them coming, folks!

    Nasi kandar ... yummmm....

    By Blogger Kucing Gatal, at August 21, 2005 3:47 PM  

  • Merdeka Day,
    I fly the flag sweating,
    on a sunny day.

    My first attempt :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 22, 2005 1:19 PM  

  • Eeee.. let me try one more time. This is so fun!

    I love Malaysia
    Although I am not local
    Smuggled from China

    By Blogger Tiffany L, at August 22, 2005 4:10 PM  

  • gollum seeks kucing
    together we kick DB
    shouting MERDEKA!

    By Blogger Asraf, at August 22, 2005 4:22 PM  

  • Love U Malaysia
    of the government today
    I've a phobia

    By Blogger Laguhati, at August 22, 2005 6:15 PM  

  • The price of freedom
    This major Merdeka Day
    Is an Itchy Cat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 25, 2005 5:22 PM  

  • Sorry, forgot to leave my name -- the last haiku was from me, Aizuddin Danian.

    The price of freedom
    This major Merdeka Day
    Is an Itchy Cat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 25, 2005 5:48 PM  

  • Oh my goodness.
    My buttcheeks hurt.*
    Pwnage of biblical proportion.

    * From sitting to watch the Merdeka procession

    By Blogger ray_, at August 25, 2005 5:48 PM  

  • Exams results back,
    Tikam answers get nine A's,
    My Engrand so bad.

    OK, I'm off to get my Kamus TriBahasa....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 25, 2005 10:11 PM  

  • Hi KG,

    Sorry I started late. I know only one entry is eligible, but couldn’t stop once I’d started. Here’s some more, just for fun.

    Peers are real hungry,
    All friends also say ‘cincai,’
    Where makan like that?!

    Cats are in a daze,
    Sumat’ra is now burning,
    Best to cover face.

    ‘Eat first die later,’
    Sport to follow; food is first,
    We’ll watch Premier League!

    Parents won’t say how?
    ‘No sex please, we’re Malaysian?’
    Read Kucing Gatal!

    Bohsia and bohjan,
    Boys and girls, we’re all naughty,
    Play at Dataran!

    Kupchai burning bright,
    Concrete jungle left and right,
    Hospital for you.

    Kupchai very loud,
    Ev’ry night, go out win prize,
    One night will win death.

    Rain doth bring us life,
    But when ‘tis the season here,
    Flooding comes again.

    Hungry but kiamsiap,
    Buying food not an option,
    Samples at Giant!

    Car stand at the Show,
    Kick tyres, slam doors, adjust seats,
    Then thumbs up/thumbs down.

    We treasure our health:
    After too much food on board,
    Reflexology.

    I need more practice….

    plink

    By Blogger plink, at August 25, 2005 11:47 PM  

  • Yikes!
    Mistyeiz comment also haiku?
    What have I gotten into?

    ;-)

    By Blogger plink, at August 26, 2005 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home