Kucing Gatal Speaks

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Different perspectives

I met an old school friend yesterday. She was carrying her 7-month-old son and seemed happy and contented. We chatted over coffee and filled each other in on our lives.

I was feeling envious that she seemed to have it all: good husband, cute kid, great job, nice house, when she looked at me and said, "Kucing, I'm jealous. You're single, you can do as you please. Me, I have to answer to my husband and I'm a slave to my child. I don't have any freedom. I wish I were in your shoes."

It was totally unexpected. Here I was, envying her lifestyle, when she was envying mine.

From outside looking in, she seems to have everything she needs. But in truth, she lacks true happiness. Still, she has a good deal more than many other people, and as she told me, she's truly grateful for that.

Would I choose her lifestyle over mine? Not right now. I do know that once I'm married, my priorities would totally change. Perhaps I'll miss my old lifestyle. But I would have made the change by choice, unlike this friend of mine who had an arranged marriage.

The grass only looks greener ...

Till next time, this is Kucing Gatal signing out with an eye-opening Meow.

4 Comments:

  • Yup! That's absolutely right....it's normal to want the other person is having but when u look back, it's not always that. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 14, 2006 10:48 PM  

  • kucing, that's life... there are pros and cons... after all, how many years do we still have before old age sets in? Then after that, we can only count the days...

    getting married and being single still has its pros and cons...


    peace!

    By Blogger william wilstroth, at February 15, 2006 1:16 PM  

  • Kucing, I hate to start this debate; but I'm a man, I'm earning a 5fig-salary a month, I'm 29, I WAS a single once; but believe me... married life is MUCH MUCH happier!!! With my wonderful 3-year-old daughter & 1-year old son, alongwith their great mother in my life, (without an Indon maid, nor my mom looking after my babies since 1 day old), I never ever regret leaving my bachelor days!! Internal happiness. Only an opinion and feedback, guys. K? Peace. :)

    Keller

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 19, 2006 1:20 AM  

  • Keller, this wasn't meant as a post to say that marriage is worse than being single. I know many happily married people, just as I know many happily single people :)

    Good to hear about your happy marriage - always heartwarming to hear about successful marriages! :)

    By Blogger Kucing Gatal, at February 19, 2006 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home